The "Auto Union AG" was created in 1932 to save DKW, Audi, Horch and Wanderer, which all had problems. After some difficulties with splitting up the factory
in east and west Germany the production restarted 1950 with DKW-Models.
In 1958 the cars were renamed to Auto Union, the same year Daimer-Benz AG bought the company. This lasted until 1965, when Daimler-Benz sold the factory to Volkswagen,
and in 1966 the production finally ceased.