The Rover Company was originally founded as Starley & Sutton Co. of Coventry in 1878. The production of Rover-cars started in 1904. In 1967 Rover merged with other
British car-brands to BLMC. The Name changed later in 1986 to Rover Group. In 1994 BMW took over the ownership until 2000.
Since then Rover was owned by Phoenix Consortium and
the name changed to MG Rover Group. This lasted until 2005, when its key assets were purchased by Nanjing Automobile Group.
The ownership of the Rover marque was sold to Ford. In 2008
this went along with Jaguar and Land Rover to Tata Motors.