In 1898 the Spanish Emilio de la Cuadra started with the production of electric automobiles as "La Cuadra". De la Cuadra met
a Swiss engineer and later (1902) the name of the company changed to "Fábrica Hispano-Suiza de Automóviles". Since then
Hispano-Suiza produced high valued luxury cars until 1938, when the production ceased as a late result of the depression.